1. We buy watches of different shapes, forms and brands and think that we are buying time. We try to put a price on time, and we end up taking it for granted.
2. We live in communities, cities, countries and often fail to engage with people outside our circles. We define our circles and instill virtual boundaries preventing us from meeting “strangers”, new people.
3. We can be the nicest and most empathetic people to everyone we know, but we are most likely hard on ourselves and judgmental. We are our own toughest critics.
4. We watch movies and read fairy tales, and we let them fuel our dreams and hopes. We plan and dream and forget that we are living our own dreams.
5. We feel everything. When we cry we wipe our tears as fast as we can, and we don’t let them wash away our emotions. We smile and/or laugh, and we cover our mouths and lower our voices in shame. We hide our feelings from everyone.
6. We pick up the phone every time it rings, and we feel bad if we don’t. We read emails and mark them as unread to not feel the guilt of not replying instantly.
7. We panic if we are alone and feel the need to be with people. Or, we enjoy people’s company but miss out on being with ourselves.
8. We miss cold and rain in summers, and we long for heat and sun in winters. We deprive ourselves from living the moment.
9. We put on strong faces to protect our loved ones. We forget that they can see right through us and worry anyways.
10. We long for love and look for it and forget that loving ourselves is often the first step towards feeling loved.
These are ten things that we might or might not be doing. Some of them are there to keep us going while others challenge us and make us question life and the journey we are on. Khalil Gibran once said: “Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood.” Sometimes, we measure our success by getting to the finish line and holding that trophy. Success is the whole journey: the start line, the planning, the trying, the failing, the trying again falling and getting back up. If we make it to the finish line then that’s also part of the success. The obstacles are there to let us appreciate to journey more. We are more successful when we push through them and we become even more appreciative of our success.